ಬೆಂಗಳೂರು Life - ಗಾಂಚಲಿ ಬಿಡಿ, ಕನ್ನಡ ಮಾತಾಡಿ !!

It has been 1 year and 3 months of my official Bengaluru life apart from the not-so-often visits during my college days. I write this representing all those deeply hurt Kannadigas who are fed up seeing Ekkada Ennada Dudes Bhaiyaas everywhere in the city. I was just wondering, living at a place like Tin Factory which is gulped completely by Tamils leaving no room for Kannada and some semi-passionate Kannadigas like me. I live here and I feel, I am out state and it pisses me off! 
Not so long ago, when I got out of the bus at Majestic, I was asked by an auto guy, "Enga poda ....blah blah.. blah". When I stared at him with my sleepy eyes with an acknowledgement saying Dammit, you are in K'taka, he switched to Telugu and later Hindi. 
"Kannaaadaaa..!" I retorted. The little passion in me for Kannada was set on ablaze. 
After my reply he asked me, "ಎಲ್ಲಿಗೆ ಹೋಗ್ಬೇಕು ಗುರು?"
I said (actually sang), "ಎಲ್ಲಿಗೂ... ಇಲ್ಲಾ... ! ". I loved myself for protecting my language.
Whenever I talk to a retailer, an auto guy, a techie and et al., I want to shout at them asking, why can't they talk to us in Kannada? Why don't they give a damn about even learning a bit of Kannada? I bloody heard someone saying, "I am living here for the past 20 years" and he doesn't even attempt to talk in my language. Actually it is not their mistake. It is us Kannadigas who are giving their asses out to everyone in the name of  bigheartedness. I see my colleagues gets into perennial conversation amongst them in their mother tongue which sounds more like alien. And at the same time, the born-and-brought-up-here-beauties talk to one another in either English or some other keeping Kannada aside. 
I want to ask them, "Does the tongue hurt if you speak in native lingo?". For the last one year, I have hardly witnessed any girl speaking Kannada with their corporates badges on, even though they are from K'taka (There are only countable cases).
Well, technically speaking it is not the fault of those guys who have been resting their asses on this high mountain awesome climate city, furnished with all-time BMTC services and homelike dishes. It is us, ruining up things. We ourselves are not passionate about our language. We should have been little more conservative about over language and culture. You may call this as cynical or chauvinistic attitude, I don't give a damn. I am exasperated when a Kannadiga learns English/Hindi/Tamil/Telugu to run his business and those who live on my land giving no damn to my language. It riles me more when the same people struggles hard and learn Telugu and Tamil when they are in those states (it has happened with many guys). I understand now the pain taken by those poets/literates and some sane people of K'taka struggling hard to save the language and our culture.
I could have written the same in Kannada making this look as an obsolete material. I am not against your IT  english life, telugu movie fantasy or your Dhaba Hindi orders but I just want to say, "Sometime..., ಗಾಂಚಲಿ ಬಿಡಿ, ಕನ್ನಡ ಮಾತಾಡಿ "

Comments

  1. le soori.. ee postna englishnall yaak barde?

    ReplyDelete
  2. seems like you have a point, but actually not. Let people speak whatever they want to speak in, at the same time you do have the right to get hurt or irritated to hear them speak, but everyone has his/her own freedom man. You can only influence but can't demand :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Sam: U shud read the 3rd line from the last.
    @Suhas: Yeah.. I thought so. But it does make a little impact.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Suresh,
    Not the way to Go....I am a kannadiga and love kannada but would never like to force others to speak in Kannada.
    Chinese change even their names to english to support economic growth. The coutries like India should focus more on removing poverty (A poor man doesn't care which lanugage he speaks. He just checks where the rice is going to come from for today).

    The Bengaluru is an economic success just because the environment is flexible and all kannadigas are peaceful/non violent people. From the money which state govt earned they should focus on establishing and making the kannada more popular with lots of love and care. The state govt is funding that amt only on Kannada authors and rioting kannada organisation. Instead they should do it in a different way....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Baby Girl - Give Me a Chance To Live.

A Simple Change in Our Attitude Can Save a Lot

Marriage Mania