Good Old Memories of Republic Day Celebration

Today morning, I reached Shimoga, covered completely yet shivering and walking groggily amidst the mist. As per my regular protocol, I continued walking until I reached my home and watched the changing city.  In a while I witnessed a group of kids, all dressed in white and white. Some wore a cute smile with a broken tooth and others wore ribbon of Saffron-White-Green on their wrist. A plastic straw hoisted with the shining plastic National Flag was erect with pride and a proud badge on the shirt pocket added extra pride to the puffed chest. Yes, today is Republic Day Celebration. Hence, I failed to resist myself being wallowed up into the ocean of  good old memories of my School days.

Few years back, while I studied in the Govt school of my village, I possessed the same patriotic feeling in the celebration of these national festivals that I witnessed today. I still possess the same, but in a different perspective. This day's national anthem was always sung with added melody and color, or it seemed so because of the sprinkle of patriotism being showered. Standing in the queue to receive the chocolate provided by the school right after the by-hearted speeches of my beloved classmates, was the best thing. Then, I bowed reverentially at Gandhiji and Chacha Nehru for giving us this awesome day. A holiday.

My entry into the residential school JNVG redefined the process of celebration. It got more and more awesome. The day was dignified with a charm due to the following features. Flag pole base festooned with flowers and surrounded by colorful feminine Rangolis. No mass PT.  No sweaters. Must bath. A tick of Kumkum on the forehead. Clean and neat white and white attire with extra polished white shoes. White tapes on the folded twin plaits. I have to admit that the scientific theory which claimed White consists of Seven colors was reconfirmed here. The day of white & white was genuinely colorful.

In spite of cold weather, there was warm atmosphere because of the warmhearted people's queer patriotism. The background song, "Aye mere watan ke logo... Zara aankhon me bharalo paani.." always gave goosebumps all over my body.  This day used to be clear and brighter and simplu spectacular. I was in the band group of my school and I was taught to play a trumpet. Our trumpet was the best in Shimoga which was invited all the time for the parade from the Scout & Guide Bhavan to the DC office. At the behest of my guide right after the flag hoisting, we played 'Jana Gana Mana'. We tried our best to be nearly perfect and nearly precise. The songs sung by the Choir group seemed different and the Principal's speech was never lengthy on this occasion. My utmost appreciation to the mess department which knew, how to assuage our patriotic eyes. With Mysorepak or Badusha or coconut Barfi. At last, we were satisfied and more proud.
Now, marking the day on the calender to have a long vacation is the trend. Its Corporate life problem, not mine. But the best thing that we can do is to share the stories of our martyrs among the kids on our  family and lighten a spark of patriotism in their eyes
Happy 63rd Republic Day. Proud to be an Indian.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Baby Girl - Give Me a Chance To Live.

A Simple Change in Our Attitude Can Save a Lot

Marriage Mania